Updated: Jul 17, 2021
Massaman is a Thai Curry with an Indian influence. It is full of fragrant flavours and once you try it, you won't be able to forget about it, like ever. Potatoes and carrots melt in the mouth, creaminess from coconut milk and peanut butter coats your tong. Get the ingredients and do some cooking!
What curry paste should I use for Massaman Curry?
For this recipe, I prepared my own Thai Red Curry Paste that is less spicy and the recipe for it you can find here. You can also buy a ready-made one, just remember not to overpower the dish, you want to taste these beautiful flavours!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for 4 portions:
400g (0.9Pounds) of boneless chicken thigh, big dice
4-5tbsp of Thai Red Curry Paste
400g (0.9Pounds) of any waxy small potatoes (salad potatoes are fine) cut in half
2 medium banana shallots, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
400ml (0.42quarts) coconut milk
2tbsp of peanut butter
2 Kaffir lime leaves, finely sliced
7 cardamom pods
1 small cinnamon stick
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground coriander
pinch of nutmeg
1tbsp vegetable oil
2tbsp toasted peanuts for garnish (gently toast on medium heat frying pan stirring frequently until they start to brown)
a handful of fresh coriander for garnish
1lime juice to drizzle before serving
1. In a deep frying pan on medium heat, add 1tbsp of vegetable oil and 2 diced shallots. Fry until starts to brown.
2. Next, add 400g of diced chicken thighs and turn up the heat to sear the meat.
3. Once ready add 1tsp of cumin, 1tsp coriander and sliced 2 carrots, mix through and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Now add 4tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste, 1tsp of salt and 400g of cut in half waxy potatoes. Cover everything with 400ml of coconut milk and add 2tbsp of peanut butter, 7 cardamom pods, 1 cinnamon stick, a pinch of nutmeg and 2 finely sliced Kaffir lime leaves. Mix together until peanut butter is incorporated and simmer covered with a lid for around 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve over Jasmin rice with toasted peanuts, fresh coriander and a drizzle of lime juice.
6. Subscribe for more delicious recipes! Thank you for visiting my online cookbook!