Updated: Dec 20, 2021
Check out my recipe for delicious Chickpea Madras Curry with roasted sweet potato and coconut milk. Perfect comfort food for a winter evening! The recipe also includes a Madras spice blend spec for the ones who like to mix their own spices. Preparation of fresh spice blends has a huge impact on the flavour as many essential oils that come from the seeds lose their full aroma very quickly. Mortar and pestle will be your new best friend in the kitchen.
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
This recipe makes: 3-4 portions
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Ingredients for curry:
1 medium-size onion, diced
1tbsp of garlic and ginger paste
1 small sweet potato, diced, skin on (250g)
250g of cooked chickpeas (1tin)
250ml of coconut milk
250ml of vegetable stock
1tbsp of mild madras curry powder (recipe below)
vegetable oil or ghee for pan-frying
fresh coriander to garnish
basmati rice to serve
Ingredients for Madras spice blend:
1tbsp of ground coriander
1tbsp of ground turmeric
1tbsp of ground cumin
1tsp of ground fenugreek
1/2tsp of ground cardamom seeds
1/2tsp of chilli powder
1/2tsp black pepper
1/2tsp ground fennel seeds
1. Preheat the fan oven to 200C (392F). Place diced sweetato on the baking tray and coat with 1tbsp of vegetable oil and a sprinkle of salt. Once the oven is ready, bake the potato for around 20 minutes or until cooked through.
2. In a medium-sized pot, sweat the onion with 2tbsp of vegetable oil until soft and starts to colour. Add ginger and garlic paste and continue cooking for another minute.
3. Next, add 1tbsp of Madras curry powder and fry with onions until aroma is released.
4. Add chickpeas and enough vegetable stock to cover solids with liquid. Bring to the boil and continue cooking for around 10 minutes to soften the chickpea even further.
5. Now add coconut milk and roasted sweet potato, continue cooking for another few minutes until preferred consistency is achieved. Check the seasoning and serve with basmati rice and fresh coriander. Smacznego!
Subscribe here for new weekly recipes to your mailbox.