Updated: Nov 24
As cucumbers are in season their abundance and lower price is a perfect time to prepare Cucumber Kimchi. It is a delicious addition to many Asian dishes, perfect for a hot sunny day. Great booster for your gut microbiome as well :)
I recommend you try Vaccum packing for your fermented products as it can save you space and create an anaerobic environment that prevents the development of unwanted pathogens. Here you can find the device and the bags at a good price.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe makes 2 bags/1jar (around 4 portions)
700g of cucumbers (pickling variety)
14g of salt (2% per cucumber weight)
1 medium-sized carrot cut into 5cm julienne
a handful of chives
3tbsp of Gochugaru (Korean chili flakes, use 2tbsp for a less spicy version)
1,5tbsp of minced garlic
2tsp of minced ginger
half of the red apple, grated
1,5tbsp of sugar or honey
1tsp of minced Saeujeot (Korean salted shrimp)(use more fish sauce if not available)
1tsp of fish sauce (Use dark soy sauce for the vegetarian version)
1. Prepare cucumbers by removing their ends, then cut them in half lengthways. Now divide into 5cm parts and cut each part 3 times at an angle (triangular prism shape). Place in the large bowl with julienned carrots and chives then mix in the salt. Rest for 25 minutes.
2. In the meantime prepare Gochugaru paste by mixing all the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Once cucumbers are ready combine them with paste.
4. Transfer everything into a jar or a vacuum bag and seal. Leave at room temperature for 2 days then move into the fridge.
5. Once chilled, Cucumber Kimchi is ready for consumption. It will develop more flavor over the next few days but it will lose the crunch and the cucumber will become mushier, so I don't recommend it for long time storage like traditional Kimchi.
Share this recipe with your friends and drop a comment below! I love feedback to always improve my website and recipes. You can also subscribe with your email to get a notification when a new recipe comes out. Follow my Instagram for more amazing shots! Thank you for visiting InsightFlavour!