Updated: Jul 14
This delicious English breakfast bread is topped with eggs, bacon, tomato, Cumberland sausages, cheddar cheese and fresh oregano. It is super easy in preparation as it takes only 20 minutes of your precious time. To make it you can use a cast-iron pan, cake tin or a baking tray.
The bread is a baby of English muffin and American pancake, very soft but strong enough to hold various toppings. Perfect morning option for adults and children, super fun to make!
To create this recipe I was inspired by Korean egg bread (GYERAN BBANG). The Asian version is sweeter, thicker and prepared with vanilla essence. It is sold by street vendors all over Korea as a snack. My English Breakfast Bread is savoury, enjoy cooking!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe makes 2 portions
Ingredients for the bread:
100g self-rising flour
1tsp baking powder
1/4tsp black pepper
1 large egg
1tsp of butter for greasing the pan
Ingredients for toppings:
4 cooked sausages (I used Cumberland chipolata cut in half)
4 thick slices of tomato
2 slices of streaky unsmoked bacon sliced
a handful of cheddar cheese
more black pepper (I love black pepper)
fresh oregano for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200C (392F) and grease cast iron pan that you are going to use with butter.
2. Mix all dry bread ingredients together then whisk in milk and the eggs until a smooth batter is achieved.
3. Spread the batter in your greased pan then place your toppings (eggs first, sausages, tomato slices and then bacon, fill the gaps with grated cheddar cheese and sprinkle with black pepper.
4. If you using a cast iron pan, place it on the stove and heat up the bottom for a minute then place it in the oven for 13-14 minutes.
5. Once baked garnish with fresh oregano and drizzle of brown sauce, eat straight away (I had one piece cold and it was also very nice)
Check useful equipment for this recipe:
Try adding different toppings like small bits of black pudding or cooked hash brown.
You can also prepare a vegetarian version with sliced mushrooms coated in olive oil, veg sausage or fakon.