Updated: Feb 1, 2022
Learn how to make oriental fried rice with smoked tofu, packed with loads of flavours and textures. Devour for lunch, dinner or late-night snack, delicious and healthy meal.
It is super easy to make, so bring some colour to your life and let's get cooking!
How is Tofu made?
Tofu is made in a similar process as cheese from milk, by coagulating soya milk into curds by using calcium or magnesium. Tofu firmness depends on the amount of liquid that was pressed out of the curds as well as the amount of the protein within.
What are the origins and history of Tofu?
Bean curd was invented in China around 2000 years ago and spread quickly throughout Asia. By the year 1300, it became a staple food around the continent. Cultivation of soya beans was especially encouraged by the Buddhist monks and their vegetarian lifestyle. One of the first written accounts about Tofu in Europe comes from the 17th century but the widespread availability started only recently.
What are the health benefits of Tofu?
Soybeans are super nutritious, they contain double the amount of protein when compared to other legumes, a good amount of amino acids and micronutrients that can benefit our long term health. Analysis of 38 controlled clinical trials shows that the consumption of 50 grams of soy protein a day can lower cholesterol by 3%. Such reductions maintained over time can slightly lower the risk of heart attack, stroke or other cardiovascular diseases.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe makes 4 portions
500g (17.6oz) of cooked jasmine rice (you can use any long grain rice)
225g (7.9oz)block of firm smoked tofu sliced in four
1 red pepper diced
1 red chilli finely sliced
100g (3.5oz) of peas
100g (3.5oz) of sweetcorn
100g (3.5oz) of carrots, small dice
2 medium banana shallots, diced
50ml (3.5tbsp) of Shaoxing wine
25ml (2tbsp) of soy sauce
25ml (2tbsp) of sweet soy sauce
3tbsp of oil
juice of 1lime
2 scallions, sliced
1tbsp of Nigella seeds
1tbsp od sesame seeds
1. Begin by searing sliced tofu, in a high heat frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry until golden brown on each side.
2. Turn down the heat and add 1tbsp of sweet soy sauce to coat the tofu on both sides (It will caramelise and stick to the tofu but be careful not to burn it)
3. Allow tofu to cool down (clean the frying pan ready for the next step) then cut into cubes.
4. Heat frying pan or Wok on medium temperature with 2tbsp of oil then sweat diced banana shallots for 5 minutes.
5. Turn up the heat to high and add diced carrots and peppers, stir-fry until cooked through and starts to colour, season with a good pinch of salt.
6. Next add peas, sweetcorn, chilli and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
7. Add Shaoxing wine and soy sauce, cook for 1 minute then throw in the cubed tofu to heat up.
8. Add rice, stir-fry for a few minutes and finish off with lime juice.
9. Garnish with sliced scallions, nigella seeds and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Check useful equipment for this recipe:
Shaoxing rice wine can be substituted with Mirin or other sweet wine.
Toast sesame seeds to deeper their nutty flavour!
Add spinach at the end of the cooking process for an extra source of iron.