Updated: Mar 11
I am excited to share with you a delicious recipe that will elevate your baking game. This easy-to-make Greek flatbread is the perfect addition to your summer meals, especially when paired with Halloumi Souvlaki. With a crispy crust and soft interior, this flatbread is full of flavour and makes the perfect vessel for all your favourite fillings. Don't be intimidated by the idea of making your own bread - this recipe is simple and will impress your family and friends with its homemade touch. Let's get cooking!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is Greek Flatbread?
Greek flatbread, or pita bread, is a type of unleavened bread that has been a staple of Greek cuisine for centuries. This versatile bread is used in a variety of dishes, including souvlaki, gyros, and sandwiches.
The history of Greek flatbread dates back to ancient times when it was known as "plakous." It was made from barley or spelt and was typically used as a portable meal for travellers. In modern times, flatbread is made from wheat flour and is enjoyed throughout the country.
There are many variations of Greek flatbread, depending on the region and personal preference. Some are thicker and softer, while others are thinner and crispier. Some are made with whole wheat flour, while others are made with white flour. Additionally, some variations include herbs or spices, such as oregano or thyme, which add flavour and aroma to the bread.
As a chef who has learned this recipe from my Greek friend, I can say that making homemade Greek flatbread is a simple and rewarding experience. The warm, soft bread is perfect for wrapping around halloumi souvlaki, or any other filling you desire. Whether you're an experienced cook or a novice in the kitchen, I encourage you to give this recipe a try and experience the taste of authentic Greek flatbread for yourself.
Ingredients for a Greek Flatbread:
1 cup milk (250ml)
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dry yeast (or 0.66oz fresh yeast (20g)
2¾ cups strong bread flour (350g)
1 tsp Greek herbs blend (Marjoram, Oregano, Thyme)
1 tsp salt (7g)
¼ tsp black pepper
Instructions for a Greek Flatbread:
1. In a small pan, combine the milk, sugar, and olive oil. Place the pan on the stove and heat the mixture until it reaches a lukewarm temperature of 30-37°C (86-98°F).
2. Remove the pan from the stove and dissolve the yeast in the mixture. Set it aside for 15 minutes to activate the yeast.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour with the Greek herbs, salt, and black pepper. Add the yeast mixture and mix the ingredients until a dough forms. Knead the dough for 5-8 minutes, until it is smooth and elastic.
4. Once the dough is smooth, place it in a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with plastic wrap or a damp kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rest and rise in a warm, draft-free area for 40 minutes, or until it doubles in size.
5. After the dough has risen, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 6 equal parts. Roll each part into a circle that is the size of your frying pan.
6. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. If you don't have a non-stick pan, you may need to use a little bit of oil to prevent the bread from sticking to the pan. Bake the flatbreads on each side for 1-2 minutes, or until they are lightly golden and puffed up.
7.Serve the flatbreads warm, with your favourite dips, spreads, toppings. Enjoy!
Tips for making Greek Flatbread:
Make sure your yeast is fresh and active. If your yeast is old or not activated properly, your bread may not rise.
Use lukewarm milk in the recipe to activate the yeast. If the milk is too hot, it can kill the yeast and prevent the bread from rising.
Knead the dough well to develop gluten, which will give your bread structure and a chewy texture.
Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free place. A slightly warm oven or a warm spot on your countertop can help the dough rise faster.
Roll out the flatbreads evenly to ensure they cook evenly. If the flatbreads are too thick, they may not cook through in the centre.
If you're interested in discovering new, delicious recipes, then make sure to subscribe to my recipe website. You'll receive updates on the latest and greatest recipes and tips, straight from my kitchen to yours. And, if you're looking for even more inspiration, be sure to check out my Instagram page where I share my culinary adventures and behind-the-scenes glimpses of my work.
But, the fun doesn't stop there. Head on over to my homepage to view all of my latest recipes and see what I'm cooking up next. Whether you're a seasoned chef or just starting out, I'm confident you'll find something that will tantalize your taste buds. So, why wait? Subscribe, follow, and visit today!
Check out my other recipes:
Halloumi Souvlaki - Halloumi souvlaki is a mouth-watering Greek dish made with grilled halloumi cheese, vegetables, and a lemony marinade, which is incredibly easy to make and will surely satisfy your taste buds.
Lamb Moussaka - Lamb moussaka is a rich and flavourful Mediterranean dish that combines layers of tender lamb, eggplant, and creamy béchamel sauce, sure to transport your taste buds to the shores of Greece and inspire you to try making it at home.
Aubergine & Halloumi Stack - This delectable vegetarian dish consists of grilled aubergine and halloumi cheese stacked together, creating a flavorful and hearty meal that's both easy to make and impossible to resist.