Updated: 5 days ago
I love simple food that you can grab and devour. Try my recipe for super juicy vegetarian Souvlaki with halloumi cheese, balsamic aubergine, sun-dried tomato tapenade and tzatziki sauce. In my method, I soak halloumi cheese for around 30 minutes to make it less salty and to change its texture. It works great with roasted aubergine as every bite gives you meat like juicy texture satisfaction. If you would like to prepare your own Greek flatbread the recipe you can find here.
What is Souvlaki?
Souvlaki is a Greek fast food, very popular among tourists and the locals. Usually, it is served on flatbread with salad, potato chips and sauces like tzatziki or tomato. Where most of the time the meat is used the vegetarian versions are also available. Very often a Halloumi cheese, my favourite!
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Makes 4 portions
220g (7.7oz) of Halloumi cheese, diced
1/2 lemon juice
1 medium-size Aubergine, cut into four and sliced.
1tbsp of balsamic glaze (if not available dissolve 2tsp of brown sugar in 2tbsp of balsamic vinegar)
1tbsp olive oil
1/4tsp of salt
1/4tsp of black pepper
1tsp of oregano
120g (4.2oz) of sun-dried tomatoes with olive oil
2tsp of baby capers (they are less salty than the bigger capers)
half a red onion sliced into rings
Ingredients for Tzatziki:
400g of cucumber (1 medium-sized)
6tbsp of Greek yoghurt
10g of fresh dill, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
drizzle of lemon juice
1/2tsp of black pepper
1/2tsp of salt
1/4tsp of sugar
1. Begin by soaking diced Halloumi in water with 1/2 lemon juice for a duration of 30 minutes.
3. Mix cucumber with 6tbsp of Greek yoghurt, 10g of finely chopped dill, 2 minced garlic cloves. Drizzle with lemon juice and season with 1/2tsp of black pepper, 1/2tsp of salt and 1/4tsp of sugar. Rest in the fridge until the serving time.
4. Preheat the oven to 180C (356F). Mix sliced Aubergine with 1tbsp of balsamic glaze, 1tbsp of olive oil, 1/4tsp of salt, 1/4tsp of black pepper, 1tsp of oregano. Place on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
5. Remove Halloumi cheese from the water and place on a separate baking tray, season with olive oil and place in the oven next to the Aubergine for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
6. In the meantime blend 120g of sundried tomato with 2tsp of baby capers and place in a small dish.
7. Heat both sides of flatbread on a frying pan ready to serve. Spread one side with sun-dried tomato paste. Add few pieces of roasted Halloumi and aubergine. Add a couple spoons of Tzatziki and garnish with red onion. Enjoy!
8. Subscribe for new recipe updates. Thank you for visiting my online cookbook!
Balsamic glaze is prepared by reduction of balsamic vinegar and sugar and can be prepared at home or purchased in supermarkets.
Aubergine spongy texture makes it perfect for absorbing liquids and seasoning.