Updated: Dec 24, 2020
This delicious quark cheese is easy to prepare at home, all you need is some milk and kefir that contains lactic acid bacteria! It works perfectly as a spread on fresh bread or ingredient for other dishes like Cheesecake or Pierogi. Great source of protein, calcium and Lactobacillus to boost the health of your gut.
Ingredients required for 500g of cheese :
2 Litters (2.1 quarts) of pasteurized milk (Full fat version tastes better but you can choose healthier low- fat milk).
250g (8.8oz) of Kefir or Zsiadle Mleko from the Polish shop (It needs to contain lactic acid bacteria) :
It is not working with Kefir that contains:
Equipment required :
2 x J Cloths or cloth
2 pots of medium size ( 2.7 quarts )
Something heavy to press your cheese ( I have used a jar of olives ).
1. Pour milk to one of the pots and add fermented milk or Kefir, whisk it and leave covered in room temperature for around 48 hours.
2. Warm-up your mixture on the stove on the lowest heat to the temperature of 55 C (130F) Don’t forget to whisk it from time to time to even the temperature.
3. Once your mixture is hot enough let it cool down for a couple of hours (if you try to separate hot cheese it will become dry).
4. Use a pot with sieve and cloth to separate cheese curds from the whey, you can help to speed it up by stirring it with a spoon.
5. Once most of the liquids drain, tie the cloth and compress with something heavy
(I used a bowl and jar of olives) this step takes around 30 minutes if you leave it longer you will get drier cheese so adjust to your preference.
6. Now your cheese is ready and you can refrigerate it for up to 5 days.
Lactobacillus from Kefir convert milk sugar into lactic acid and that curdles the milk protein when heated.
Mix cheese with some fresh chives, parsley, garlic, pepper and salt and use it in a sandwich.
Try to avoid high-temperature fluctuations as this may affect the process.
If your milk starts to smell bad, throw it away and start over. Try to use different Kefir, some have added bacterium that can turn things bad.