Updated: 5 days ago
Deep in flavour quick in preparation, lighter version of Japanese Beef Curry.
Simple and delicious!
Remember to use waxy potatoes for this recipe as they melt in the mouth when cooked in the sauce, starchy potatoes will not give you the same result!
How did Curry get to Japan?
Curry comes from India and was brought to Japan by the British Empire in the 19th century. Quickly It became very popular, and during shortages of rice, potatoes were used instead. Back in the day, curry roux was prepared from scratch, nowadays most people buy it for convenience. In this recipe, you can find instructions on how to prepare your own roux, it is super easy and gives an amazing result!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for 4 portions:
2 medium carrots, diced
2 large waxy type potatoes (this type melts in the mouth when cooked in the liquid)
2 small onions finely chopped
4 garlic cloves sliced
half a celery stalk finely chopped
500ml (0.53quarts) of beef stock (for vegetarian version use vegetable stock with 1tbsp of miso)
200ml (0.21quarts) of coconut milk
4tsp of curry powder (I used mild madras blend)
2tbsp of plain flour
1tbsp of dark soy sauce (add a little more if you prefer it saltier)
1tsp of honey
1tbsp of mirin
few thin slices of green chilli for garnish
5tbsp of rapeseed oil for frying
rice to serve
1. Heat 2tbsp of rapeseed oil in a medium-size pot.
2. Sweat 2 diced onions and half of the diced celery stick on medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Turn up the heat slightly and add 2 diced carrots and 2 large diced potatoes, fry until starts to brown (you may add a little bit more oil at this step)
4. Next add 500ml of beef stock,1tbsp of soy sauce and 1tbsp of mirin.
5. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, cook until soft (around 20-25 minutes)
6. In the meantime prepare the curry roux, in the frying pan heat 3tbsp of oil and fry 4 cloves of sliced garlic, when browned add 4tsp of curry powder and 2tbsp of plain flour. Cook on medium heat for around 2 minutes.
7. When potatoes and carrots are cooked to desired texture add 200ml of coconut milk and 1tsp of honey, bring to the boil and turn off the heat.
8. Stir in curry roux to thicken and serve with rice and sliced green chilli. Enjoy!
9. Subscribe to my online cookbook for more delicious recipes! Thank you for visiting!
Replace 1 potato with a small sweet potato, do not add any honey to the recipe.
Add 100g of green peas or 200g of diced tofu for more protein in the dish.
Replace 2tsp of curry powder with garam masala for a new experience.