Updated: Dec 15, 2021
Check out my recipe for Lamb Kofta served on Kisir and yoghurt drizzle. Kisir is a Turkish bulgur wheat salad prepared with tomato, pomegranate, parsley and lemon.
I am a huge fan of Lamb Koftas as they are one of my favourite parts of mixed grill, they are also delicious when served on the top of the flatbread like this one.
What parts of lamb are used for mince?
The top choice is the shoulder as it has good fat to meat ratio, other parts like the middle neck and scrag end can be used as well. Remember to always source your lamb from a good supply! Good ingredients is a half success on the recipe!
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Preparation time: 30 minutes for salad, Koftas can be prepared in the meantime.
Portion size: This recipe makes 5 Koftas and enough salad for 5 people
Ingredients for Lamb Koftas:
500g (1.1Pounds) of Lamb mincemeat 20% fat
1 medium onion diced
4 garlic cloves
a handful of fresh parsley
1tbsp of fresh mint
1tbsp of breadcrumbs
1tsp mild chilli powder
1/2tsp ground allspice
1,5tsp ground cumin
1/2tsp black pepper
pinch of nutmeg
8g (1,5tsp) of salt (2% per 100g of meat, excluding fat)
Ingredients for Kisir:
1tbsp of vegetable oil
1 shallot, cut in half then sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 green chilli, seeds removed and sliced
2tbsp tomato puree
250g (8.8oz) of bulgur wheat
500ml of vegetable stock
10 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
a handful of walnuts, chopped
half a pomegranate seeds
a handful of parsley, finely chopped
a handful of mint, finely chopped
1/2 lemon juice and zest
1tbsp pomegranate molasses
2tbsp of olive oil
salt to taste
yoghurt for dressing (diluted with milk if thick)
Instructions for Kofta:
1. In the food processor, place all the Kofta ingredients apart from the meat and combine them together. Remove half of the mixture and add half of the meat, process it together until the meat is very finely minced and remove into a bowl. Repeat with the other half and mix everything together. Store in the fridge until needed.
2. To make Koftas use metal skewers, divide the meat into five parts, shape a sausage from each part and skewer through the middle ready for grilling (in the home setting you can grill by using a cast-iron griddle heated in the oven) Grill the meat for around 5 minutes, flipping once coloured.
Instructions for Kisir:
1. In the deep frying pan on medium heat, add 1tbsp of vegetable oil and fry sliced shallot until soft
2. Next add minced garlic, green chilli and cook for another couple of minutes.
3. Now add tomato puree, 500ml of hot vegetable stock and 250g of bulgur wheat, mix it together remove from the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Leave bulgur wheat to absorb the liquid for 15-20 minutes.
4. Now transfer bulgur to the bowl and mix in remaining ingredients (keep some parsley, cherry tomato and pomegranate seeds to garnish the top of the salad.
5. Serve Koftas on Kisir and drizzle with yoghurt dressing.
Subscribe here for new weekly recipes to your mailbox.