Mexican Slow Cooked Chilli Beef Quesadilla
Updated: Sep 15
I love slow-cooking, it is magical how it changes a relatively cheap cut of meat into delicious food! For this recipe, I used shin but any part of beef high in connective tissue will work as well. I Mixed this juicy meat with sweet peppers, fresh parsley and pan-fried it in the crunchy tortilla with some gooey cheese inside. Bring your favourite toppings and you are good to go!
Ingredients for 4 portions:
400g (14.1oz) of the diced beef shin (or other cuts high in connective tissue)
150g (5.3oz) of mozzarella or Oaxaca cheese, asadero cheese, manchego cheese, Chihuahua if available
1 medium onion roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1tsp mild chilli powder
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp marjoram or oregano
500ml (0.52quarts) of beef or vegetable stock
200g (7oz) sweet peppers, seeds removed and sliced
1tbsp tomato paste
5g (0.17oz) chopped parsley
1tsp of salt
4 medium-size wraps (20cm (8inch) diameter)
1. Marinate the beef in cumin, paprika, chilli powder, marjoram, garlic and 2tbsp of olive oil, you can do it on the previous day or at least 30 minutes before cooking.
2. Fry the meat with onions on the high heat to colour and transfer to the slow cooker (you can use a pot or leave it in the same pan as well) add stock to cover the meat and add one tsp of salt. Set the slow cooker on high setting for 3-4 hours.
3. Meanwhile, fry the peppers on medium heat for around 10 minutes and set aside for later.
4. When the meat is tender remove from the slow cooker and allow to cool a little bit in the cooking juices then remove from the liquid and brake it with your fingers. Mix with peppers, chopped parsley, tomato puree and some of the cooking juices.
5. Brush one side of tortilla with some olive oil and place it down on the heated frying pan, add cheese to one side and top with the meat, once tortilla is golden-brown fold and flatten slightly.
6. Remove from the pan and cut in half before serving, enjoy!
7. If you like the recipe drop a comment below or subscribe here to get new tasty recipe alerts to your inbox. Thank you for visiting my blog!
8. You can also check my recipe for delicious chicken gyros kebab.
Meat surface browning intensifies the flavour thanks to Millard reactions. In the process, carbohydrates react with amino acids creating hundreds of delicious compounds.
At a temperature of 70C (158F) connective tissue collagen begins to dissolve into gelatin making meat significantly more tender.