Updated: Dec 7, 2021
Check out my recipe for Peri-Peri wet rub - An amazing combination of flavours, straight from South Africa with Portuguese influence :)
Remember, when buying chicken for this dish, always buy good quality meat to support animal welfare! It will taste so much better than the cheap stuff, plus it is a lot healthier too!
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Portions: Enough for 8 chicken breasts or one whole chicken.
2tbsp of paprika
2tbsp of ground coriander
1tbsp of dried oregano
1tsp of dried parsley
1/2tsp ground cardamom
1tsp of birds eye chilli powder or Peri-Peri chilli powder if available (Adjust to your spice preference)
1tsp of black pepper
pinch of mace
1tbsp of salt
1tsp of sugar
1 small onion, peeled and cut into four
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1tsp of fresh ginger, peeled and diced
1/4 of lime, skin on, seeds removed
vegetable oil (enough to bring everything together)
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together. You can store the spice blend vacuum packed to preserve the aroma for longer.
2. Blend all the wet ingredients by using a food processor, add just enough oil to make a smooth paste.
3. Score the chicken and rub it with wet and dry ingredients. For the best result do it one day before cooking.
4. Grill the chicken breasts until internal temperature reaches 72C (162F). For chicken legs 82C (180F) plus resting time of minimum of 15 minutes.
5. Serve chicken with fries and Peri-Peri sauce.
Subscribe here for new weekly recipes to your mailbox.
Rest meat covered with aluminium foil and placed in the oven set for 70C (160F). This helps to preserve temperature, keeps the meat juicy and when it comes to chicken legs, the meat will fall off the bone.