Updated: Jul 17
One of the most popular Polish dishes is Schabowy (Breaded Pork Cutlet) served with delicious braised cabbage. It makes a perfect Sunday dinner, especially when served with boiled new potatoes. For this recipe, I used sweetheart cabbage as it cooks very quickly and tastes fantastic. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!
1 large sweetheart cabbage, shredded
1 medium shallot, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
10g fresh dill, finely chopped
1/2tsp of black pepper
salt to taste
3 slices of bacon finely chopped
1tbsp of plain flour
2tbsp of white wine vinegar
1tsp of sugar
1/2tsp of caraway (optional, it helps with the side effects of the cabbage)
1/2tsp of Vegeta seasoning (optional)
1. In the medium-size pot add shredded cabbage, sliced shallot and sliced garlic.
2. Add enough water to cover cabbage halfway through and bring to a boil.
3. Cover the pot partially with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes (In that time the volume of the cabbage will even out with the water)
4. In the meantime prepare roux to thicken the cabbage. In a small pan on medium heat fry chopped bacon to render the fat. Next, add 1tbsp of plain flour to incorporate with the fat, then mix in 2 ladles of the cabbage liquid into the roux and transfer back to the cabbage to thicken.
5. Simmer for another 2 minutes or until cabbage thickens properly.
6. Add seasoning: 10g of fresh dill, 1/2tsp of black pepper, 2tbsp of white wine vinegar and 1tsp of sugar, 1/2tsp of caraway, 1/2tsp of Vegeta or salt to taste.
7. Your cabbage is ready. Subscribe for new recipe updates. Thank you for visiting my online cookbook!