Polish Breton Bean Soup
This hearty soup with smoked sausage, boczek and potatoes tastes great. If you are a fan of Italian Minestrone, you will love it. the best with pan-fried baguette.
200g (7oz) smoked kielbasa (sausage) diced
300g (10.6oz) smoked boczek (bacon) diced
350g (1.8oz) waxy potatoes diced
250g (9oz) cannellini beans
400g (14oz) of baked beans (1tin)
800g (28oz) chopped tomatoes
200ml-400ml (0.2-0.4 quart) of water (depending on how thick you like it)
2 medium onions diced
5 garlic cloves sliced
4 allspice berries
3 bay leaves
2 tsp salt
1tsp black pepper
1. Begin by pan-frying diced boczek on medium heat for 5 minutes to extract the fat.
2. Add the diced sausage and fry for another 5 minutes, you may turn the heat up slightly. Stir every now and then.
3. Add onion with the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add diced potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
5. Transfer into a pot, add tomatoes with water and all the spices, bring to the boil and reduce the temperature. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
6. By this time potatoes should be cooked through, you can add baked beans and cannellini beans, turn the heat up and after 5 minutes your soup is ready.
7. Check the seasoning and serve with some freshly toasted buttered baguette, enjoy!
This soup tastes better on the second day. It happens as proteins continue to break down and release amino acids such as glutamate - umami.