Red Quinoa, Chickpea & Roasted Broccoli Salad
Updated: Apr 29
Power salad, perfect after physical training, packed with protein, fibre and micro-nutrients. Served with delicious honey & mustard dressing.
Ingredients for salad:
150g (5.3oz) of red quinoa
200g (7oz) ready to eat chickpea
1 medium broccoli head
20g (0.7oz) pumpkin seeds
2tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for dressing:
50ml (3.5tbsp) olive oil
40ml (3tbsp) balsamic vinegar
1tsp mustard (not too spicy to not overpower the dish)
1. Preheat the oven to 220C (428F).
2. Begin by separating broccoli florets, then cut each individual one in half. You can also use the stalk, peel of the hard skin and cut out the core and slice it.
3. Mix the broccoli with 2tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper then roast it for 10 minutes, you want the broccoli to be slightly charred but not burned. When broccoli is ready, allow it to cool down.
4. In the meanwhile boil quinoa for 10 minutes in the pot of slightly salted water (or use the veg stock for better result) than add chickpea and cook for further 5 minutes. When ready, cool it down with cold water and drain in the sieve.
5. Prepare the dressing by whisking olive oil with balsamic vinegar, when emulsified add honey and mustard and whisk until combined.
6. Serve the salad mixed with the dressing and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
When quinoa is cooked it will pop open and a little germ will become visible.
Quinoa is considered a super grain as it contains a high amount of fibre and more protein than any other grain.