Updated: Dec 24, 2020
Slow-cooked pork belly, fried and glazed with sweet soy sauce served with delicious vegetables and egg noodles. All with sweet chilli sauce, scallions and crunchy fried garlic.
500g (17.6oz) of Pork Belly, skin removed and diced into bite-size cubes
250g (8.8oz) of Egg Noodles
1 red pepper sliced
2 medium onions sliced
2tbsp of sweet soy sauce
3tbsp of sweet chilli sauce
1tbsp of Shaoxing wine
1tsp msg powder
1tbsp of fried garlic
2 spring onions or coriander sliced
1/2 lime juice
1tbsp of vegetable oil
1L (1quart) of hot water
1. Begin by slow-cooking diced pork belly. To do so, place 500g (17.6oz) of meat, 2tsp of salt and 1L (1quart) of hot water in a medium pot. Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer, cover the pot with a lid and cook for 1 hour.
2. Take off the lid and cook for another 40 minutes or until tender, when ready remove the meat and keep around 100ml of stock.
3. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles as instructed on the packet then rinse with cold water.
4. Stir fry pork meat over medium-high heat until golden brown, then add 1tbsp of sweet soy sauce to coat all over. When ready place on a plate and cover with tin foil to keep warm.
5. Now cook the onions and pepper over medium heat with 1tbsp of vegetable oil. Do this stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Season with a 1tsp of msg powder and a little bit of salt (you want it nice and soft but not coloured).
6. Add 100ml of pork stock and noodles, stir fry until hot. Next add 2tbsp of sweet chilli sauce, 1tbsp soy sauce and 1tbsp of Shaoxing wine. Check the seasoning then serve with glazed pork, fried garlic, spring onions and a splash of lime juice.
Most global MSG is produced by bacterial fermentation in a process similar to making vinegar or yoghurt. MSG is safe to eat. A popular belief is that MSG can cause headaches and other feelings of discomfort but blinded tests have found no good evidence to support this. You can find it in the products like polish Kucharek or Japanese Aj-No-Moto seasoning.
If you like slow-cooked pork belly you can also try this delicious Sticky Pork Noodle Soup