Updated: Sep 15, 2020
This recipe is a fusion between practical "grab and go" Burrito and Spicy Cajun flavours, packed with vegetables cooked to different stages for different flavours and textures.
Perfect for the wraps!
Ingredients for Wraps :
2 chicken breasts, diced
150g (5.3oz) raw tiger prawns
200g (7oz) chorizo sausage cut in chunks
2 peppers (green and red) big dice
2 medium onions, small dice
100g (3.5oz) celery, small dice
1 red chilli, seeds removed and sliced
2 garlic cloves, small dice
150g (5.3oz) of white mushrooms
1 medium carrot diced
250g (8.8oz) long-grain rice
600ml (0.63quarts) of hot chicken or vegetable stock
400g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
2tbsp of vegetable oil
Ingredients for Cajun spice blend:
2tsp of salt
2tsp of garlic powder
1tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1. Begin by frying chorizo on medium heat, just enough to get some of that delicious fat out of it. Once the magic happens, add diced chicken and slightly turn up the heat and cook for five more minutes (you want it cooked but not dry). Then remove the meat from the pan and place it in another pot ready for later.
2. On the same frying pan, sweat the onions, celery, carrots, chilli and garlic (around 5-10 minutes, you may have to add a little more oil, depending how much fat you have left from the sausage).
3. When ready add mushrooms and 2tsp of Cajun seasoning then turn up the heat slightly to get some caramelisation (3-5 minutes) then remove from the pan and place it with your cooked sausage and chicken.
4. Now turn up the frying pan to high heat, add 1tbsp of vegetable oil and stir-fry peppers for 5 minutes.
5. When done mix your meat and vegetables with peppers, add rice, chicken stock, chopped tomatoes, prawns and 3/4 of the remaining Cajun spice blend. Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer covered with a lid. Cook for about 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. When cooked, allow resting for 10 minutes. In the meantime warm up both sides of the wraps in the frying pan over medium heat, you don't have to use any oil for that. Wrap the filling, cut in half and serve with some fresh greens alongside a cold beer.
7. If you like the recipe drop a comment below or subscribe here to get new tasty recipe alerts to your inbox. Thank you for visiting my blog!
8. You can also check my recipe for delicious Mexican Slow Cooked Chilli Beef Quesadilla