Updated: Jul 17
A long time ago in Krakow, there used to be that place where you could buy Gyros Kebab served in the puffed pitta bread. It is one of those that you start shovelling with your fork and halfway through you grab it with your hands.
Delicious grilled chicken in the very characteristic Greek spice blend, crunchy salad with gherkins, loads of garlic sauce. I tried to recreate that dish and without a shadow of a doubt, I succeeded.
The spice blend you can prepare in advance and store in the jar. These ingredients should give you enough to make this recipe twice.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for Gyros spice blend:
1tsp mild chilli powder
1tsp ground coriander
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder
0,5tsp ground fenugreek
1tsp ground mustard seeds
This recipe makes 4 big portions
Ingredients for the chicken:
3 big chicken breasts sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
half of the gyros spice blend
Ingredients for the salad and sauce:
1 medium onion sliced
2 medium tomatoes diced (sweeter than better)
half of the small Chinese leaf thinly sliced
200g (7oz) of sweet gherkins diced
150g (5.3oz) sweetcorn
150g (5.3oz) thick yoghurt
1/2tsp black pepper
3 garlic cloves minced
Ingredients for Pitta bread:
350g (12.3oz) strong flour (contains more gluten, this helps to hold shape upon inflation)
1tsp baking powder
100ml (0.1quart) milk (you can use water instead)
130g (4.6oz) yoghurt
50g (1.9oz) melted butter
Instructions for chicken and salad:
1. Mix the chicken with the olive oil and spice blend, skewer and leave it for a minimum of 30 minutes or marinate overnight.
2. For the sauce mix yoghurt with minced garlic, mayonnaise, oregano and black pepper.
3. Grill the chicken skewers in the oven 250C (482F) for around 10 minutes then turn upside down and grill for another 10 minutes (place skewers in a baking dish). When ready take of the skewer and cover with tin foil to keep warm (thighs may need a little longer).
4. To serve cut pitta in half and stuff with salad, chicken and sauce (pour some of the chicken juice inside for extra flavour).
Instructions for pitta:
1. For the pitta bread mix all the dry ingredients together then add all the wet. Mix then knead for around 5 minutes, until a smooth dough ball is formed. Rest for 30 minutes covered with a bowl or clingfilm.
3. Divide the pitta dough into four and roll each one to a 20cm circle about 2mm thick (8-inch circle, about 0.08inch thick).
4. Place the dough onto the heated baking stone or cast iron pan. Applying heat from the bottom and the top will create puffed pitta, watch it closely not to burn it, this takes around 3,5 minutes. (Do one at the time, and you may need to heat up your baking surface again before doing another one).
I also like gyros chicken just with gherkin salad.
If your pitta is not puffed, increase temperature or try to heat the oven for a longer time or roll pittas slightly thicker. You may also need to reheat the stone/cast iron between each pitta.