Updated: Jul 14, 2021
Who doesn't like super crunchy shortbreads that melt in the mouth? Quick in preparation with a cool shape that will surprise your friends and family.
Let's get mixer going!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients (around 18 cookies):
220g (7.76oz) butter in room temperature
80g (2.8oz) caster sugar (granulated sugar can be used as a substitute)
1/2tsp vanilla bean paste (you can also use extract, just add a little more)
pinch of salt
250g (8.8oz) plain flour
100g (3.5oz) of milk chocolate chips
1. Cream butter and sugar until white and fluffy, this should take around 3-4 minutes.
2. Add 250g of plain flour, 1/2tsp of vanilla bean paste and pinch of salt. Mix ingredients together with a spatula until the dough starts to form (do not use mixer anymore!)
3. Mix in the chocolate chips and transfer the dough on to a sheet of baking paper, cover the dough with another sheet and roll the dough flat to half-inch thick.
4. Transfer flattened dough with both sheets of paper onto a wooden board and place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
5. When ready, remove the dough from the freezer and cut out triangles with a sharp knife, place triangles on the two trays with baking paper (dough will be hard but not frozen at this point).
6. Once all shortbreads are cut out, place them back in the freezer for 5 minutes and preheat the oven to 165C (329F).
7. Bake shortbreads for 18 minutes or until edges start to turn golden brown. (If using two trays, swap them places half-way through)
8. Once baked remove tray from the oven and leave on the side for 5-10 minutes then transfer cookies onto a cooling rack.
Check useful equipment for this recipe:
Check out my recipe for Banana Coffee Cupcakes & Cream Cheese Frosting