Updated: Jul 17, 2021
Creamy Chicken Katsu Curry with Sticky Rice, Spring Onion and Pickled Salad. This beautiful dish always brings happiness to the one who eats it, share it with your family and friends!
Start by tenderising and marinating your meat, you can do it for 30 minutes or the day before to get the best results. Pickle also can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until needed. The sauce can be made in a bigger batch and frozen for future use.
Ingredients for sauce :
· 2 medium carrots - diced
· 2 garlic cloves - sliced
· 2 medium shallots - diced
· 450ml (0.47 quart) of beef stock
· 200ml (0.2 quarts) coconut cream (half a tin)
· 2 tsp soy sauce
· 2 tsp honey
· 4 tsp curry powder
· 0,5 tsp garam masala
· Juice of ¼ lime
· 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
Ingredients for the chicken :
· 2 chicken breasts cut in half lengthways
· 2 tbsp soy sauce
· 100g (3.5oz) panko breadcrumbs
· 50g (1.8oz) plain flour
· 100ml (0.1 quarts) rapeseed oil to shallow fry
Ingredients for sticky rice :
· 250g (8.8oz) jasmine rice
· 500 ml (0.52 quart) of water
· ½ tsp salt
Ingredients for pickled salad :
· 1/3 cucumber ( around 150g (5.3oz))
· 1 medium carrot
· 1g (0.03oz) Nigella seeds
· 100g (3.5oz) white wine vinegar
· 50g (1.7oz) caster sugar
· 50g (1.7oz) water
Method for chicken :
1. Pound the chicken breast to make it evenly flat - around 1 cm thick.
2. Marinate the chicken in soy sauce for a minimum of 30 minutes.
3. When ready pane chicken in flour then egg and panko breadcrumbs.
4. Shallow fry on medium heat oil until golden brown on each side.
Method for the pickled salad :
1. Shave carrot with the peeler to create long ribbons.
2. Slice cucumber very finely.
3. Mix water with vinegar and sugar in the small pot, bring to the boil and take off the heat
4. Add carrot and cucumber to the pickle for 15 minutes.
5. Remove vegetables from the liquid and refrigerate them until needed.
6. When served sprinkle with some Nigella seeds.
Method for the sauce :
1. On the medium-hot pan with 2 tbsp of oil fry carrots, onions and garlic for around 15 minutes.
2. Add curry powder and fry for another minute.
3. Transfer to a pot and add beef stock, honey and soy sauce. Cover with lid and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Add coconut cream and cook for further 10 minutes covered (be careful, if the heat is too high it may overboil).
5. Add garam masala and lime juice and blend the sauce with a hand blender until smooth.
6. Reduce it by simmering if you like it super thick, check the seasoning.
Method for rice :
1. Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the rice and the salt, cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
2. Taste the rice, if it is still too firm, add a few more tablespoons of water. Cover the pan and let the rice absorb the water off of the heat, serve when ready.
Coconut milk usually contains one part of water to one part of coconut cream. Coconut cream is more expensive but gives better results in the dishes than coconut water. You can always scoop out the cream from the top and discard the water.
For this recipe, you can use normal breadcrumbs that are relatively cheaper than panko, although you will not get the same crunchy texture.
Instead of pickled salad try it with kimchi from this recipe, it is delicious.