Updated: Jul 14, 2021
This Japanese sandwich made with seaweed and sushi rice has a lot of potentials to become the superfood of tomorrow. What's interesting is firstly originated from the Japanese manga "Cooking Papa." In the comic book, Papa is the guy working for a corporation but a secretly amazing cook that lies to his colleagues telling them that all the outstanding food that he brings to work is made by his loving wife but she, in fact, is useless in the kitchen :)
Onigirazu is super fun to make this and I love the delicate flavours that come through together!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for 4 sandwiches:
350g (12.3oz) of Sushi Rice cooked and seasoned
8 Ladyfingers - Okra, blanched in hot water for 1 minute
100g smoked tofu, pan-fried and glazed with soy sauce
Mixed salad leaves (beetroot, spinach)
1 Avocado sliced (optional)
1 small carrot sliced into matchsticks
Red or yellow pepper cut into matchsticks
Nigella seeds for garnish
Plastic Wrap (Cling Film)
Metal ring (11.5cm in diameter and 5cm tall) (4,5 inch /2 inches) to assemble.
1. Place a square of seaweed at the top of the wooden board and place the metal ring in the middle.
2. Place a layer of rice at the bottom of the seaweed (use a small amount of water on your fingers to prevent the rice from sticking)
3. Place the layers of your fillings like in the pictures below, you can mirror arrange them as well. I also like to add extra sauce inside (sweet chilli or soy sauce)
4. Once all fillings are in place, push them down with your fingers to compress, use cling film to help.
4. Slowly remove the ring and fold the bottom seaweed upwards and stick to the sides of your Onigirazu.
5. Fill the gaps with extra seaweed. Wrap in the cling film tightly and cut in the middle.
6. Enjoy with a drizzle of Japanese Mayonaise!
I found it easier to work with seaweed that was soggier. Take a few sheets out of the packet and leave them on the counter overnight.
Grease the ring with a little bit of olive oil, this will help you to remove it more easily.