Updated: Jul 18, 2021
Nothing tastes better on a sunny evening than the Mediterranean meal, accompanied by a glass of red wine. Surprise your other half with this vegetarian feast full of flavours and textures. It is super easy to prepare and not expensive. Pick up your grocery bag a go gather ingredients from the supermarket shelf! :)
Ingredients for 2 portions:
220g (7.7oz) of Halloumi cheese
1 medium-size Aubergine around 270g (9.5oz)
150g (5.3oz) of cherry tomatoes
2 sweet baby peppers seeds and end removed, cut into four tongs
Few micro herb leaves (Rocket and lettuce)
2 tbsp of balsamic glaze (if not available use 1tbsp of honey and 3tbsp of balsamic vinegar)
splash of red wine
3 tbsp olive oil for cooking
1/2tsp black pepper
pinch of salt (Halloumi cheese contains a fair amount of salt so be careful how much you add)
1. Preheat the oven to 200C (392F)
2. Slice the aubergine into 1,5cm thick circles and place it in the bowl.
3. Add 2tbsp balsamic glaze, a splash of red wine, 2tbsp of olive oil, 1/2tsp oregano,
1/2tsp black pepper and mix thoroughly (aubergine absorbs liquids like a sponge)
4. Place the aubergine on a baking tray with paper, leave space in between each piece.
5. Bake aubergine for 10 minutes.
6. In the meantime prepare Halloumi, cut the block into four slices, and cut out the discs from each slice. Each disc can be cut in half again, be careful when doing so.
7. Place Halloumi rings and offcuts broken apart in a bowl along with cherry tomatoes and peppers. Toss with remaining olive oil and oregano.
8. Prepare 2 stacks by creating few layers of aubergine and Halloumi finishing with four slices of peppers pointing in each direction.
9. Place on a baking tray and add cherry tomatoes with Halloumi offcuts.
10. Bake at the same temperature for around 15 minutes.
11. Serve straight from the oven and don't forget to garnish with microgreens. You can drizzle with extra balsamic glaze if you like but it is not necessary for a flavour bomb.
12. Enjoy! Subscribe for new recipe updates. Thank you for visiting my online cookbook!
To make your own balsamic glaze: In a small pan mix 100ml of balsamic vinegar with 2 tsp of sugar and simmer on low heat for around 5 minutes. Transfer to a jar and use within one month.