Italian Seafood Pasta
Updated: Nov 24, 2022
Check out my recipe for flavorsome Italian Seafood Pasta! You can prepare this dish with any type of seafood that you like or have available at the time, frozen works as well as fresh. In this recipe, half of the prawns and scallops are cooked in creamy tomato sauce the rest is pan-fired and used as the topping. The mussels are cooked separately, I pick their meat from the shells and add it to the sauce when it is almost ready.
How to check and clean mussels?
When resting, some mussels open their shells slightly, upon pressing with fingers they will tighten their muscle and close shell meaning they are alive.
Mussels that are open and do not respond to tapping should be thrown away.
To clean, remove any calcification that forms on the shell by smashing it off with a blunt side of a knife then clean the surface with a steel scourer. Next, deaberd them by removing their little hair that sticks out of the shell, grab it and pull it towards the backside to use it as the cut-off point (They use it to attach themselves to the surface)
Be aware that chlorinated water kills mussels so cleaning is advised as soon before cooking as possible to maintain their best quality.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe makes 4 portions
250g (8.8oz) of mussels, cleaned and debearded
100g (3.5oz) of king prawns
100g of scallops
100g of squid rings
200g (7oz) of mirepoix (onions, celery, carrots finely diced)
5 garlic cloves, sliced
2tbsp olive oil
200g (7oz) of linguine pasta
400ml of water
150ml of white wine
400g (14oz) of chopped tomatoes
1tbsp of tomato puree
50ml of double cream
salt and black pepper to taste
parsley to garnish
1. In a medium-size pot, bring 400ml of water to boil and add mussels. Cover the pot with a lid and lower the heat, cook for 3-5 minutes then remove from the stove. Discard any mussels that did not open. Pick the meat from the shells and keep a few intact for presentation if needed.
2. In a frying pan, heat 1tbsp of olive oil and cook mirepoix and sliced garlic on medium heat until browned (10 minutes).
3. Add 150ml of white wine and water from the mussels, turn up the heat and reduce the liquid to half.
4. Add 1tbsp of tomato puree and 400ml of chopped tomatoes, blend until smooth with a hand blender like this one.
5. Adjust the seasoning and add all squid rings, half of the prawns, and half of the scallops, cover with a lid, and cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
6. In the meantime cook linguine pasta in salty water until al dente.
7. On high heat pan-fry the remaining half of prawns and scallops until golden and keep under foil to keep hot.
8. Once the seafood is cooked through, finish the sauce by adding 50ml of double cream then mix it with the cooked pasta. Add mussels meat picked from the shell (keep a few whole ones for presentation if you want).
9. Cook for another 5 minutes, this allows the pasta to reabsorb extra moisture from the sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley, black pepper, fried seafood, and whole mussels. Enjoy!
Subscribe for new recipe updates. Thank you for visiting my online cookbook!