Butternut Soup & Sourdough Croutons & Chia Seeds
Updated: Dec 24, 2020
Delicious and creamy soup, easy to prepare, perfect for light summer lunch!
Ingredients for the soup:
1kg (2.2 pounds) size butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced into cubes
2 small onions, diced
1 small carrot, diced
70g (2.5oz) celery, diced
60g (2.11oz) leek, diced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
5g (0.17oz) parsley
1100ml (1.16quarts) of hot vegetable stock
2tbsp olive oil
40ml (2.7tbsp) of double cream (optional)
Ingredients for the croutons:
4 slices of sourdough bread cut into squares
40ml (2.7tbsp) of olive oil
2 pinches of salt
2 pinches of black pepper
1tsp of Herbs de Provence
chia seeds to garnish
1. Large pot, heat 2tbsp of olive oil and sweat the onions and garlic for 5 minutes then add carrots, celery, leek and butternut squash and cook for 10 more minutes.
2. Add 1100ml (1.16quarts) of hot vegetable stock, bring to boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes with a lid on.
3. In the meantime prepare the croutons, mix sourdough cubes with olive oil, salt, black pepper, herbs and pan fry on medium heat for around 5-10 minutes and place in the bowl for later.
4. When the soup ingredients are cooked through, add chopped parsley and puree the soup with the help of hand blender.
5. Whisk in the cream and If the consistency is to thick to your liking add 100ml (0.10quarts) of water. Check the seasoning and serve while hot with croutons and sprinkle of chia seeds.
6. If you like the recipe drop a comment below or subscribe here to get new tasty recipe alerts to your inbox. Thank you for visiting my blog!
7. You can also check my recipe for traditional Polish Żurek
Chia seeds are rich in fibre, Omega-3 fatty acids, protein and minerals such as calcium and magnesium.