Updated: Jul 17, 2021
Super crunchy fried cauliflower bites with smooth and delicate tikka masala sauce, perfect starter or a snack that you can prepare in no time! Just grab one floret and dip it in the sauce :)
What is Tikka Masala sauce and where it comes from?
The history of this popular sauce is not 100% clear, some say it was created in India while others say it was created in the UK by Bangladeshi migrant Chefs. Whoever did it, did a good job, the sauce is one of the most popular in the world thanks to its mild and delicate flavour. In short, it is a smooth tomato-based curry sauce with the addition of garam masala and finished with yoghurt. The sauce is usually served with dry roasted marinated chicken or lamb (Tikka). From my experience, every Chef prepares it differently, what are your experiences with this sauce?
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for Tikka Masala sauce:
1 banana shallot, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1tsp of fresh ginger, minced
1/2tsp ground coriander
1/2tsp garam masala
1/2tsp mild chilli powder (add less if using standard chilli powder)
400g (0.9Pounds) of chopped tomato sauce (one tin)
fresh coriander to garnish
Ingredients for Crunchy Cauliflower:
medium-sized cauliflower (around 750g with leaves removed) cut into florets (cut biggest florets into half).
1/2tsp black pepper
100g (3.5oz) breadcrumbs
0,5L (0.5quarts) vegetable oil for deep-frying (may need more if using deep-fryer)
Instructions for the Tikka Sauce:
1. In the small saucepan melt 1tbsp of butter and add 1 diced shallot, sweat on medium heat for around 5 minutes.
2. Next, add 2 minced garlic cloves, 1tsp of minced ginger and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add all spices, 1/2tsp turmeric, 1/2tsp ground coriander, 1/2tsp garam masala, 1/2tsp mild chilli powder and cook for another minute.
4. Add 400g of chopped tomatoes, 3tsp of sugar, 1/2tsp of salt and bring to simmer.
5. Blend with a hand blender until smooth then finish by mixing in 2,5tbsp of yoghurt.
6. Taste and adjust, there should be a balance between sweetness and sourness.
Instructions for the Cauliflower Bites:
1. Place cauliflower florets in the bowl and season with 1/2tsp of salt, 1/2tsp paprika, 1/2tsp turmeric, 1/2tsp black pepper. Mix until coated.
2. In a small bowl whisk 2 eggs. Dip each floret in the egg, then in breadcrumbs and place it on the plate ready for deep-frying.
3. To deep-fry heat 0,5L of vegetable oil in a small saucepan or deep-fryer to the temperature of 170C (340F). Fry a few florets at a time for around 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Once ready transfer onto a tray with a kitchen towel to remove excess fat, serve with sauce once all the florets are fried.
4. Subscribe for more delicious recipes. Thank you for visiting my online cookbook!