Updated: Sep 3
This delicious Red Onion marmalade is easy to prepare and it is a perfect addition
too many dishes. Try it in toasties, sandwiches or with roast meat!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ingredients for the jam (makes 2 jars):
1kg (2.2pounds) of red onions peeled and sliced (also remove the first layer of the onion as some parts may be hard)
160ml of balsamic vinegar
85g (3oz) of brown sugar
85ml of red wine
3 tbsp of vegetable oil
0,5tsp black pepper
1/4tsp of salt
Instructions for the jam:
1. Heat 3tbsp of vegetable oil in the small-sized pot and add onions, cook on high heat until softened (around 5 minutes)
2. Reduce temperature to medium and add sugar, balsamic and red wine. Continue cooking for 30-40 minutes or until there is not much liquid left (remember to stir occasionally.
3. Reduce temperature to low and add 1/4tsp of salt and 0,5tsp of black pepper. Continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes (Salt will draw some of the extra moisture out of the onions)
4. Onions will be ready once they start to catch to the bottom of the pan, at that point remove the pan from the heat and leave on the side to cool allowing moisture evaporation.
5. Jam can be placed in the jars and stored in the fridge for a few weeks or pasteurised and stored long term.
Check useful equipment for this recipe: