Updated: Jul 14
This my family recipe for finger-licking good pork ribs. I made a few adjustments to make it spicier. The meat falls off the bone and everything swims in delicious thick gravy with loads of paprika. Enjoy cooking!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This makes around 6 portions
1kg (2.2Pounds) pork ribs sliced (remember to buy good quality meat from the good source - It tastes soo much better, especially when it comes to pork)
2 peppers diced (yellow and red)
1 medium carrot halved and sliced
1 celery stalk fine dice
2 medium onions diced
5 garlic cloves sliced
2 bay leaves
3 allspice berries
1tsp black pepper
5tsp paprika (It works with smoked paprika as well)
1-1,5L (1-1,6quarts) of vegetable stock
3tbsp of canola oil for frying spices and veg
gravy to thicken (amount will vary depending on the powder you use)
parsley to garnish
pickled jalapeno to garnish
mashed potato to serve
1. Heat the frying pan to very high and sear the ribs on each side until golden brown. Once ready, transfer to a spare pot leaving the rendered fat behind.
2. Next, lower the heat slightly and fry the mirepoix to colour then transfer to spare pot.
3. Add 1tbsp of canola oil and stir-fry peppers until coloured then transfer to spare pot.
4. Lower the heat to medium and add 2tbsp of canola oil and 5tsp of paprika, mix it together and cook until aroma heats your nose, don't burn it.
5. Transfer all the ingredients back to the braising pan and pour in enough stock to cover everything to 3/4.
6. Add caraway, bay leaves, allspice and black pepper. Bring the temperature to just under the boiling point, cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 hours or until the meat starts to fall off the bone (during that time you may need to add more stock to keep cooking liquid at 3/4 level).
7. When ready mix couple of tablespoons of gravy powder with a little bit of water (enough to make it runny) and gently stir it into the ribs (add enough to thicken the sauce)
8. Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Check useful equipment for this recipe:
Try it with pasta it works very well on the second day!
For slow braising reduce the temperature to 80C (176F) and extend cooking time to 6-8 hours