Homemade Ptasie Mleczko
Updated: Jul 14, 2021
This homemade version of traditional Polish confectionery is super light and creamy!
Ptasie Mleczko is very popular in my country and it is one of my most favourite snacks from childhood.
6 egg whites (use pasteurized eggs)
170g (6oz)of sugar
70ml (5tbsp) of double cream
2tbsp of lemon juice
1tsp vanilla extract
16g (0.56oz) of gelatine leaves
blue food colouring (optional)
150g (5.3oz) dark cooking chocolate bar
1. Place gelatine in a bowl of cold water to soak for 5 minutes.
2. In a small pan heat the cream and whisk in the lemon juice and vanilla then add gelatine and colouring, mixing until dissolved, take off the heat.
3. In the mixer, beat the egg whites on the medium speed setting, increasing to high once the soft foam is formed.
4. Beat until stiff peaks are achieved then add sugar, spoon by spoon.
5. When all the sugar is incorporated turn speed down a little and slowly pour in the cream mixture. (At this point the foam will lose around 30% of its volume but that is fine).
6. Place the foam in a dish layered with plastic wrap to set for a minimum of 8h (gelatine reaches the maximum strength after 24h)
7. Once set, remove from the form by lifting plastic film and cut to the desired shape.
8. Melt 100g of dark chocolate over a bain-marie. Once melted take off the heat and whisk in remaining 50g of chocolate until incorporated.
9. Dip foam squares into the melted chocolate and place on a drying rack to set.
10. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.