Updated: Jan 28
Check out my recipe for a fully loaded winter comfort food - Classic Shepherd's Pie.
Creamy mash meets delicious filling full of seasonal vegetables and lamb mince, super delicious!
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Preparation time: 50 minutes
Cooking time 30-40 minutes
Ingredients for the filling:
500g (1.1Pounds) of lamb mince 10% fat
3 small onions, small dice
1 carrot, small dice
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 turnip, medium dice
1/4 swede, medium dice
half a stick of celery, small dice
100g (3.5oz) of green peas
1 tbsp of tomato puree, diluted with 1tbsp of water
2 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
500ml of thick beef or veg gravy
small bunch of fresh thyme (leaves only)
1tbsp of oil for frying veg
Ingredients for the mash:
800g (1.76Pounds) of your favourite potatoes for mash
100g (3.5oz) of mature cheddar cheese
50g (1.7oz) of butter
splash of double cream
1 egg yolk
salt to taste
Instructions for the pie:
1. In a large frying pan, medium heat 1tbsp of oil. Add onions and cook for a couple of minutes to soften.
2. Next turn up the heat and add celery, carrot, turnip, swede and garlic. Cook until swede and turnip are almost cooked through, season with a little bit of salt.
3. Once ready, transfer to the medium-sized pot, add peas, thyme and black pepper. Pour in thick gravy, Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree diluted with a small amount of water and mix all together.
4. Sear the mincemeat on high heat in two or three batches to brown, do not overcook it as it will dry out too much.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C (356F)
7. Spread the mash on the top of the pie or pipe it with a bag and nozzle.
8. Bake the pie until golden-brown (around 30-40 minutes)
9. Rest for a few minutes after baking, enjoy!
Instructions for the mash:
1. Boil diced potatoes in salty water until cooked through, once ready, drain the water and allow to steam dry for a few minutes.
2. Mash them with butter until super smooth, add a splash of double cream, egg yolk and cheddar cheese. Salt and black pepper to your taste.
Subscribe here for new weekly recipes to your mailbox.
If using stock instead of the gravy, thicken with 1tbsp of cornflour dissolved in 2tbsp of water.
Use minced beef for Cottage Pie or vegetarian mince for Shepherdless Pie.