Tofu Soba Salad & Miso Dressing
Updated: Jul 15, 2021
Buckwheat noodle salad with soy-glazed tofu, loads of crunchy vegetables and miso peanut dressing. Excellent at any time of the day, super healthy dish with crunchy textures and mouth-filling dressing!
Ingredients for salad:
170g (6oz) soba noodles
280g (10oz) extra-firm tofu (block cut into 5 slices)
100g (3.5oz) mangetout
125g (0.9oz) carrots cut julienne
1 small red pepper cut julienne
30g (1oz) spring onion thinly sliced
3 tbsp sweet soy sauce (use less if using regular soy sauce)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp toasted sesame for garnish
Ingredients for dressing:
30g (1oz) miso paste
10g (0.33oz) peanut butter (use nut-free peanut butter or tahini instead)
40g (1.40z) sweet chilli sauce
1/2 lime juice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. To begin with, boil the noodles as instructed on the packet, make sure you watch it closely as they like to stick together and boil over. When ready blanch in cold water, drain and leave covered on the side.
2. Slice tofu block vertically into five parts. Heat the oil in the frying pan over high heat and sear the tofu on each side until golden brown. Reduce the heat and add soy sauce to coat the tofu on each side, be careful not to burn it, you want gentle caramelisation.
When ready, place the tofu aside and once it cools down cut into 1cm (0.4inches) cubes.
3. Stir-fry mangetout on a hot frying pan with 1 tbsp of vegetable oil for 90 seconds and place aside to cool down.
4. For the dressing whisk all the ingredients together or blend.
5. Toss everything together and garnish with toasted sesame seeds ready to serve, enjoy!
Soba noodles are made with buckwheat that has been shown to benefit blood sugar, heart condition and prevent inflammation and cancer.
To toast sesame, simply place it on a medium-hot frying pan for few minutes and give it a toss every now and then, it takes about 5-10 minutes.
You can store this salad in the fridge for up to three days.
This recipe works well with fresh coriander and chilli.