Updated: Mar 4
Super tender duck legs slow-cooked in Chinese five-spice, served with cucumber salad, homemade Hoisin sauce and corn-wheat wrap. Best way to celebrate the upcoming Chinese new year!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Makes 2 portions (4 wraps)
Ingredients for wraps:
2 duck legs
1L (1.05quarts) of stock or more (vegetable or chicken, needs to cover the meat)
Chinese 5 spice (1 cinnamon stick, 5-star anise, 20 peppercorns, 2tsp of fennel seeds, 20 cloves)
4 small corn-wheat wraps (you can use any wraps but these have a slightly yellow colour that contrasts nicely with the dish)
half cucumber, seeds removed, sliced
80g (2.8oz) of mixed salad (spinach, lettuce, spring onions and beetroot cut julienne)
half red chilli sliced for garnish
fresh coriander for garnish (optional)
Ingredients for Hoisin sauce (makes more than you need for this recipe):
60ml (4tbsp) of light soy sauce (you can also use sweet soy sauce)
2tbsp of peanut butter
2 garlic cloves
1tbsp of honey
2tsp rice vinegar
2tsp sesame oil
1tsp miso paste
1tsp of chilli sauce
1/2tsp black pepper
1/2tsp sesame seeds for garnish
1. In the slow-cooker on high setting or medium-size pot on the stove: Simmer duck legs in 1L of stock and Chinese 5 spice for 3-4 hours (make sure meat is submerged, when ready meat should fall off the bone). In the meantime prepare Hoisin sauce and salad.
2. Once cooked remove duck legs from the liquid and allow to cool-down for 20 minutes. Next, pick the meat off the bone into a small container and cover with cooking liquid without spices (This will help to keep meat extra moist)
3. To serve, remove meat from the liquid and serve cold or warm with the salad and wraps.
Instructions for the sauce:
1. Blend all the sauce ingredients in the food processor. Once combined transfer to a small serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
2. Homemade Hoisin can be stored in the fridge for up to one month and it works great for dipping, glaze for the meats or added to a stir-fry.
Check Useful Equipment for the recipe: