Updated: Jan 31
There is no better way to celebrate the Chinese new year than with delicious Hoisin Duck Wraps! In this recipe, we slow-cook duck legs until meat falls off the bone. All amazing aromas come from the Chinese five-spice. All served with fresh cucumber salad and fantastic homemade Hoisin sauce.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe makes: 2 portions - 4 wraps
Ingredients for wraps:
2 duck legs
1L (1.05quarts) of vegetable or poultry stock (enough to submerge the meat)
Chinese 5 spice blend (1 cinnamon stick, 5 star anise, 10 Sichuan peppercorns, 2tsp of fennel seeds, 10 cloves)
4 wraps of your choice
half cucumber, seeds removed and cut into matchsticks
mixed salad (spinach, lettuce, spring onions and beetroot leaves)
half red chilli sliced for garnish
fresh coriander for garnish
Ingredients for Hoisin sauce:
60ml (4tbsp) of light soy sauce (you can also use sweet soy sauce)
2tbsp of peanut butter
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1tbsp of honey
2tsp rice vinegar
2tsp sesame oil
1tsp miso paste
1tsp of sweet chilli sauce
1/2tsp black pepper
1/2tsp sesame seeds for garnish
Instructions for Duck:
1. In the slow-cooker on a high setting, place duck legs in enough stock to cover the meat. Add Chinese 5 spice and simmer for 3-4 hours. In the meantime prepare Hoisin sauce and salad. Alternatively, you can use a medium-size pot and simmer the meat on the stove for the same amount of time.
2. Once cooked remove duck legs from the liquid and allow them to cool down for 20 minutes. Next, pick the meat off the bone into a bowl and cover it with the cooking stock, discard the spices (This step helps to keep meat extra moist until serving)
3. To serve, remove meat from the liquid and serve cold or warm with the salad and wraps.
Instructions for the Hoisin Sauce:
1. Blend all the sauce ingredients in the food processor. Once combined transfer to a small serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
2. Homemade Hoisin can be stored in the fridge for up to one month and it works great for dipping, in addition to a stir-fry or as a glaze for the meat and vegetables.
Share this recipe with your friends and drop a comment below! I love feedback to always improve my website and recipes. You can also subscribe with your email to get a notification when a new recipe comes out. Follow my Instagram for more amazing shots! Thank you for visiting InsightFlavour!