Updated: Dec 24, 2020
Since all the McDonald's and Pubs are closed in England I could not resist making my own delicious beef burger. It is super money-saving and tastes absolutely bomb, try yourself!
Ingredients for the 8 buns:
180g (6.4oz) of lukewarm water (works also with milk)
20g (0.7oz) fresh yeast (10g (0.33oz) active dry yeast or 5g (0.17oz) instant yeast)
430g (15oz) of plain flour
30g (1oz) butter in room temperature
40g (1.4oz) sugar
sesame seeds for garnish
40g (1.4oz) of melted butter for brushing
Ingredients for 8 beef patties:
800g (1.76 pounds) good quality beef mince 12% fat
40g (1.4oz) breadcrumbs (they help to reabsorb the juices and slow down shrinking)
8g (0.3oz) salt
black pepper to your liking
2tsp onion powder
Ingredients for the sauce:
75g (2.6oz) mayonnaise
75g (2.6oz) ketchup
dash of hot sauce
dash of liquid smoke
2 white onions, sliced in thick rings
1tbsp of vegetable oil
4 sweet gherkins sliced
2 biggest and the best tomatoes you can get
2 handfuls of mixed leaf salad
Method for the buns:
1. Dissolve the yeast in the 180g (6.4oz) of warm water (make sure the temperature does not exceed 35C (95F))(if using dry yeast or instant yeast leave this standing for 5 minutes).
2. Mix and knead all of the dough ingredients by hand or mixer to make a soft, smooth dough and allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
3. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces (I used scale) and shape each one into a ball and flatten slightly. Place on the 2 baking trays covered with baking paper and allow to rise for another hour (you can oil your hand lightly to make working with the dough easier).
4. When proofed, brush with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds then bake the buns in a 190C (375F) oven for around 15 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack, brush with melted butter.
Method for the sauce and onions:
1. Saute the onions on a medium heated frying pan for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. When almost ready season with a little bit of salt. You can place them in a small dish covered with tin foil ready for later.
2. For the sauce mix all the ingredients together, if you don't have liquid smoke, you can add meat juices from the pan.
Method for the beef patty:
1. Chop the minced beef with the knife and place in the bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients and mix together.
3. Divide the meat into 8 pieces and shape the flat round patties.
4. Heat the frying pan to medium-high heat and place the patty, once nicely coloured on one side flip it upside down and place a slice of cheese at the top, cover frying pan with a lid (this helps to melt the cheese). When ready place straight into a burger.
5.If you like the recipe drop a comment below or subscribe here to get new tasty recipe alerts to your inbox. Thank you for visiting my blog!
To make smaller buns, divide the dough to 12 pieces and bake for 12 minutes.
Adding salt to a burger patty makes it more delicious but unfortunately, salt draws out the moisture making your meat drier. Breadcrumbs help to reabsorbed this juices keeping your burger nice and moist.
You can also try my Lavender Fried Chicken in Challah Bun & Quick Kimchi Pickle