Updated: 3 days ago
Surprise your loved ones with a unique twist on a classic pasta dish with Lasagna soup! This hearty soup is inspired by traditional Lasagna, but with a delicious twist.
It's easy to make and can be made vegetarian by using meat-free alternatives. Serve it up for a cozy family dinner or a gathering with friends, Lasagna soup is sure to become a new favourite in your recipe repertoire.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases
This recipe makes: 6 portions
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Lasagna Soup:
1.1 lb ground beef (500g)
8 Lasagna sheets broken to pieces (450g)
1 small carrot (3.5oz/100g), small dice
1 medium onion (5.3oz/150g), small dice
1.8oz (50g) of celery, small dice
3 garlic cloves, sliced
2 cups (500 ml) beef or vegetable stock
1 cup (250 ml) of red wine
14oz (400g) of can chopped tomatoes or passata
1/2 tsp dried oregano (you can use some for garnish as well)
good pinch of ground cloves and cinnamon
2tbsp of olive oil
salt and black pepper to personal taste
small amount of sugar to balance sourness of tomatoes
freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano for garnish
garlic bread to serve
How to prepare Lasagna Soup:
1. To begin, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over high heat. Once hot, add the ground beef and allow it to brown on both sides without breaking it apart too soon.
2. Once the desired level of browning is achieved, break the meat apart and cook for another couple of minutes. Then transfer the beef to a separate large pot or a slow- cooker.
3. Add the remaining olive oil to the frying pan and then add the mirepoix (diced onion, celery, and carrot). Cook on medium heat until it starts to brown a little, then transfer to the large pot with the beef.
4. Add the following ingredients to the large pot: beef stock, red wine, chopped tomatoes, oregano, and spices. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot with a lid and let it cook for 30 minutes. If you are using a slow-cooker, set it for 3 hours on high.
5. After 20 minutes of cooking (or 2.5 hours for a slow-cooker), add broken lasagna sheets or another type of pasta to the soup.
6. Once the Lasagna soup is ready, adjust the seasoning to your preference and add more water if the soup is too thick. Enjoy with garlic bread and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano. Mangiare!
Tips for cooking Lasagna Soup:
To improve the flavour profile, add 7oz (200g) of sliced Italian sausage to the beef mince.
For the best flavour, use good quality beef mince. You can ask your local butcher to mince steak for you.
Consider garnishing your soup with mozzarella or your other favourite cheese.
Don't be afraid to experiment with different types of pasta. While the recipe may call for specific types, you can use any type of pasta that you have on hand as long as it works for you.
If the soup is too thick, you can thin it out by adding more broth or water.
To save time, you can make the soup ahead of time and reheat it when you're ready to serve. Just be sure to add additional liquid when reheating, as the pasta will absorb some of the liquid as it sits.
For a vegetarian version of the soup, substitute vegetable stock for beef stock and use a vegetarian substitute in place of the beef mince. Omit the Italian sausage as well. For additional flavour and nutrition, consider adding extra vegetables such as zucchini or bell peppers to the soup.
If you're interested in discovering new, delicious recipes, then make sure to subscribe to my recipe website. You'll receive updates on the latest and greatest recipes and tips, straight from my kitchen to yours. And, if you're looking for even more inspiration, be sure to check out my Instagram page where I share my culinary adventures and behind-the-scenes glimpses of my work.
But, the fun doesn't stop there. Head on over to my homepage to view all of my latest recipes and see what I'm cooking up next. Whether you're a seasoned chef or just starting out, I'm confident you'll find something that will tantalize your taste buds. So, why wait? Subscribe, follow, and visit today!
Check out my other recipes:
Berrichonne Potatoes - Check out my take on Pommes de Terre à la Berrichonne - a classic French dish featuring herby potatoes, bacon, and onions, slowly roasted in a flavourful blend of stock and white wine.
Greek Flatbread - I am excited to share with you a delicious recipe that will elevate your baking game. This easy-to-make Greek flatbread is the perfect addition to your meals.
Bigos - Polish Hunter's Stew - I am excited to share with you my family winter recipe for traditional Bigos, a hearty and flavourful Polish Hunter’s Stew fit for royalty.
Chicken Shawarma - Indulge in the flavours of the Middle East with my mouth-watering Chicken Shawarma served with the soft and fluffy Laffa Flatbread.