Updated: Feb 15
This version of Beef Stroganoff is lighter on the wallet yet full of flavours thanks to the slow-cooking method. Served with Polish potato dumplings and baby gherkins.
What are Silesian Dumplings?
These traditional polish dumplings come from Silesian region of south-west Poland.
They are made with potatoes that are cooked, mashed and mixed with potato starch and sometimes an egg. For this recipe, you need to use a starchy type of potatoes to get the best texture.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe makes 4 portions
Ingredients for the dumplings:
1kg (2.2 Pounds) of peeled potatoes (use variety with a high starch content like for chips or roasted potatoes)
250g (8.8oz) of potato starch or cornflour
13g (0.46oz) of salt
1-2 eggs (depending on the moisture of the dough)
1tbsp of butter for coating once cooked
Ingredients for the Beef stroganoff:
600g (1.3 Pounds) of diced beef (leaner cuts will be ready in 3 hours, ones with more connective tissue may require 6 hours of slow-cooking)
2 small onions diced
4 garlic cloves slightly crushed
800ml (0.84quarts) of beef stock
1 large carrot diced (120g (4.2oz))
2 bay leaves
3 allspice berries
300g (10.6oz) of white mushrooms cut in quarters
100ml (0.1quarts) of double cream
1tbsp of yoghurt/thick sour cream (optional)
10g (0.35oz) of dill
salt and black pepper to liking
10 baby gherkins
1tbsp plain flour
Instructions for the sauce:
2. Use the same frying pan to sweat the onions and garlic, add 2tbsp of oil and reduce the heat to medium. After 5 minutes transfer to the master pot.
3. Add 800ml of beef stock, allspice and bay leaves then bring to a boil and reduce to simmer, when using slow-cooker set it on high (I used a leaner cut that was ready in 3 hours, others may need up to 6 hours). In the meantime jump to dumplings.
4. When the meat is almost ready, add diced carrots and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
5. Once the meat is tender, saute diced mushrooms to brown all around and season with salt when almost ready, add to the master pot along with the cream.
6. Use the same frying pan to melt 1,5tbsp of butter then add 1tbsp of plain flour, once combined, cook on medium heat for around a minute then stir into the master pot to thicken the sauce.
7. Finish the sauce by adding fresh chopped dill and 1tbsp of yoghurt, balance the flavour by adding 1tsp of sugar and salt and black pepper to your liking.
Instructions for the dumplings:
1. Begin by boiling potatoes in salty water until ready for mashing.
2. Mash potatoes until smooth, I recommend using a potato ricer as this has a direct impact on the texture of your dumplings.
3.Place potatoes on two plates to cool-down until lukewarm, cover them to prevent moisture evaporation.
4. After 30min - 1hours potatoes should be ready to work with, place them together in a bowl and add 250g of potato flour/starch and 2 eggs. Mix together with a spoon and transfer to the worktop to continue kneading by hand.
5. Once the dough is combined divide it into two parts and roll each part on the surface with hands into the size of a rolling pin (5cm diameter (2inch).
6. Slice the logs to equal rings 1,5cm (0,6inch) in thickness. Roll each piece in hands to a ball shape then make a dip with your knuckle. Place each dumpling on a cloth ready for boiling.
7. To boil dumplings use a pot of slightly salty water, once you add them in, give it a stir and wait until they float to the top, from that moment begin the count to 3-4 minutes and remove them from the water on to a plate, add butter to coat and serve with the sauce garnished with fresh dill and gherkins.
Check useful equipment for this recipe:
Adding egg to Silesian dumplings depends on the variety of potatoes used, their dryness and temperature of the mashed potatoes. Some recipes don't use it at all.
Beef Stroganoff originated in Russia and spread quickly throughout the world, bringing additional ingredients like mushrooms, mustard or tomatoes.
In Poland, gherkins are served with the dish or added to it in the last stages of cooking.