Sweet and Sour Chicken
Updated: Nov 24, 2022
Check out my recipe for delicious sweet-sour chicken with grilled pineapple. This dish is full of flavours and easy to prepare. It makes perfect summertime lunch that is light and refreshing. Serve it with your favourite rice or noodles!
What are the Ingredients for the Sweet Sour Chicken:
Pineapple - Always use ripe pineapple, it will have a lot more flavour and sugar! You can also use canned pineapple if fresh is not available, in that case, use the syrup from the tin in your sauce as well!
Chicken - For this recipe I use fillets but you can also roast boneless chicken thighs and then add them to the sauce. For a different variation, chicken can be deep-fried. To do so mix 100g of plain flour and 100g of cornflour. Add 1tsp of salt, coat the chicken, dip in the whisked egg, back to the flour mix again and deep fry.
Chilli - I do love a little spice in the background but not to overpower the dish. That is why I recommend using mild chilli peppers. The choice is yours so adjust accordingly.
“As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
This recipe makes 4 portions
Ingredients for chicken:
3 chicken breasts
1tsp of salt
3tbsp of canola oil
1 large red onion, skin removed and cut into wedges
1 sweet pointed red pepper, sliced
1 green pepper cut into large dice
2 mild green chilli peppers, seeds removed and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
3 spring onions, sliced at an angle and washed in a bowl of water
1tsp of sesame seeds to garnish
Ingredients for grilled pineapple:
half small ripe pineapple
1tsp canola oil
1tsp brown sugar
Ingredients for sauce:
400ml pineapple juice
1tbsp of cornflour
30g (1oz)of fresh ginger, grated
3tbsp dark soy sauce
4tbsp white wine vinegar
2tbsp light brown sugar
4tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2tsp cracked black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220C (392F) on the grill setting, alternatively, you can use an air fryer as well.
2. Mix chopped pineapple with 1tsp of oil and 1tsp of brown sugar and grill on the tray for around 20 minutes, or until caramelised.
3. In a small pot combine all the sauce ingredients apart from the cornflour, leave on the side for later.
4. Prepare the chicken breasts by slicing and mix them in the bowl with 1,5tbsp of cornflour and 1tsp of salt and leave them aside.
5. In a non-stick frying pan add 1tbsp of oil and stir fry red onions and sliced garlic for 3-5 minutes then transfer to the master pot.
6. Next stir fry chopped peppers with green chilli until starts to soften, add more oil if necessary, then transfer to the master pot.
7. Add prepared sauce to the pot with onions and peppers, bring to boil and reduce to simmer.
8. Pan-fry the sliced chicken until browned on both sides, do it in 3 batches not to overcrowd the pan. Once done add to the master pot.
9. Mix 1tbsp cornflour with 1tbsp of water and stir in the sauce to thicken. Add grilled pineapple, check the seasoning and serve with quinoa rice or noodles, garnished with spring onions and sesame seeds.
10. Subscribe for new recipe updates. Thank you for visiting my online cookbook!
For the vegetarian option simply swap chicken with pan fired tofu.